Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Silver Linings - New 1956 Silver Front Sumo Wrestling Set

Work has been busy for me of late and I am finding it harder and harder to spend time on my sumo wrestling card hobby.  When I do, though, I try and maximize my time with cataloguing a set or two before my bedtime calls...as is the case with this set.  This set is a new one for me and the first time I have seen this print style on a sumo menko card.  From 1956, this set has a shiny silver printing technique for the front.  It doesn't show well in the scans, but this set uses a black ink printed on this shiny silver paper that is then affixed to a thin piece of cardboard.  The fact that I have only seen these 4 menko cards in all my years of collecting must mean they are extremely rare and it appears very few have survived today.  I only recognize a few of the wrestlers, but some of the photos have been used in other sets.  Right now I am going to catalogue it as the BB5612 Set - 1956 Silver Fronts.  It might be another 20 years before I find any more of these, but I'm glad I can document this little piece of history. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments