It was 1890. Just 20 miles from Paris, in the peaceful village of Auvers-sur-Oise,
a slight man, aged 37, worked at his easel.
Vincent Van Gogh had moved from Provence to the Auberge Ravoux, now named
Maison de Van Gogh, and In 70 days he created 70 paintings.
He painted plein air each day, eating his meals at the 'artists' table' in the rear
of the dining room each evening.
During the night of July 29, 1890, Vincent died in his room of a gunshot wound,
self-inflicted two days earlier in the wheat field where he was painting.
An amazing artist but sadly disturbed soul was gone.
His body was moved behind the inn's dining room on the ground floor to the
'artists' room' - the room where he painted and stacked his canvases during those 70 days.
Masses of yellow flowers were brought in, dahlias and sunflowers, and many of his
canvases were nailed to the walls surrounding his coffin.
The auberge is typical of small French village restaurants where simple,
earthy meals are served. People arrive to dine in what remains similar to the
turn-of-the-20th-century café scene.
Recently I made a few changes to my dining room table. This included rolling
out the black paper purchased in Spring. It came with chalk so I'm planning
how I should decorate it for Autumn. Not being an artist, I haven't drawn much
so far - however I'm hoping to add vegetables, pumpkins, flowers, birds - perhaps
some quotations for the season.
so far - however I'm hoping to add vegetables, pumpkins, flowers, birds - perhaps
some quotations for the season.
I purchased this beautiful book,
Van Gogh's Table at the Auberge Ravoux
several years ago and come back to read it often. It shares beautiful art,
some classic French country recipes from the inn, and the story of Vincent Van Gogh's
sad life and the isolation he experienced due to mental illness.
I will be in France again soon and this time I plan to visit Auvers-sur-Oise
and see Vincent's room in the auberge. Visitors are permitted to climb the narrow
stairs to room No. 5 - where 125 years ago the world lost an amazing artist.
I'm practicing simple little illustrations on oddments of paper first. . . . . . . . . . . If you stop
by over the weekend you'll be welcome to add your personal art to my 'table cloth'.








0 Comments