Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Hyatt Regency Chennai's Chef Mauro Answers 10 Questions

Hyatt Regency has a new expat Chef: Mauro Ferrari at its signature Italian restaurant, Focaccia. Coming in from the Grand Hyatt, Muscat, Chef is originally from Milan, Italy.  This restaurateur has a bouquet of culinary expertise: besides having worked with a Michelin Star restaurant – Pomiroeu Ristorante Soranno – he is a Sommelier.
Restaurants in Switzerland, France and Italy have served Chef Mauro’s food for 15 years, after which he went on to open two of his own restaurants – one near Milano and the other in the Tuscany region. Once the restaurants were up and running, it was time to move. This time to Morocco. A year later, he joined the Hyatt family in Muscat at the Grand Hyatt where his restaurant, Tuscany, was awarded the best Italian restaurant in the city.
Again the time to move knocked on his door, offering him the excitement of change. He opted to venture into incredible India and made Chennai’s Hyatt Regency is his new work place, his home.
At Focaccia, Chef Mauro is infusing the restaurant with his infectious smile, commitment and vibrancy. His love for the best Italian food shows in every little nuance, presentation included.
Happily for him Chennai has an abundance of sea food, which is his favorite. While is he not dishing up exotic Italian food for the guests at Focaccia, Chef Mauro Skypes with is loving family, makes himself some spaghetti with pesto, reads philosophy and listens to music.
Chef Mauro’s 18 year old twins are qualifying at a hotel management school and getting set to follow in their father’s footsteps. 

  1. What drew you to cooking? And now that you are in the field, what has your experience been like? 
I often used to see the way my dad used to try new recipes and he will keep trying something new and wow us with some delicious food at home. I was very fascinated towards the food my dad used to make.
“Dad I want to be a Chef,” I said to him. I was only 10 years old. My focus was clear. And there has been no looking back.
Since then I've been soaking in all the food knowledge I can get. As a result, my experience has been vast. I have grown my skills with the experience I have gained. It’s been 35 Years now, but I still feel I need to learn more.
  1. What are the highs and lows of your career? Did you ever feel you wanted to do something else? When and why?
I have never seen a low in my career. I started as a commis and with each step I evolved myself. Cooking is my passion and I have learnt a lot with it. I can never recall if I would have ever felt that I want to change my profession.
  1. What, according to you are the latest trends in food? What do you like and dislike about them?
There are lots of trends in food. Food has taken a turn towards molecular gastronomy. However I believe in one trend – no wastage while you cook and that’s what a real chef is. Fusion can be done by anyone but you need to make sure you do not waste ingredients while you cook.
I believe in food cooked with fresh and high quality ingredients.
  1. As an ex-pat chef, how are you finding the Chennai palate for your food? 
I have been interacting with almost everybody who comes to my restaurant to know their feedback. It’s very important for me to know if people like what I make. Guests are quite open to try something new.
“Finally we get some original Italian Flavours and no fusion. Your food smells so fresh and tastes so Italian.” One guest told me.
Chennai has acknowledged my style of Food.
  1. Do you think a chef needs to be hot headed to get the best out of his team?
No. That’s not my style. My team is very professional and they have that desire to learn. They always want to see how I do things when I am in the Kitchen. They want to learn from me and I make sure I share whatever I can with them. I love to teach my team and share my experience with them. We work together and that’s what the Hyatt Culture is. We work as team.
  1. How are you coping with your new team? What are the challenges, advantages?
My team is fantastic. That’s what I can say. I mean they have been there with me from the first day I entered the kitchen. They support me and ready to learn and absorb everything from me.
  1. Which ingredients from the local market do you love and which do you hate? What are the ingredients that are not available here and you cannot work without? How do you procure them?
I like anything that is fresh. Vegetables, Fruits… Especially fresh seafood. There are few ingredients we don’t get locally but we have a vendor who helps us in sourcing out best quality from Bangalore, Mumbai or Delhi. Tomato Pureta, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Italian Parmesan is something I use regularly in all my food items.
  1. Different regions in Italy have different cuisines. What are your favorite? Do you replicate any of them here?
Lombardia, Tuscany, Cecilia, Venetian are some of my favourite regions. Yes we have just started new menu which has varieties from different regions but moving forward we will have food promotions focused on specific regions of Italy.
  1. Do you miss home? How often do you return?
Yes home and Family is always topmost priority. I miss them… Of course. But technology is always useful so I Skype with them every day once I finish my work or if I have a little time in between.
  1. What do you do when you go back home? 
We always plan a vacation when I go back. We discover some new places and hangout with my other friends too.

Post a Comment

0 Comments