The absence of interesting new movies to write about, combined with a busy week of job interviews and freelance assignments resulted in an unnaturally long gap between blog posts, for which I apologize. But there should be a whole bunch of exciting new content available shortly, including the first episode of DVD Afternoon, a DVD review podcast that I've launched with the very smart, very prolific Vue Weekly writer David Berry. In the meantime, speaking of DVDs, here's the latest of my "Hidden Gems" segments for CBC Radio, in which I talk about Big Fan, written and directed by Robert Siegel and starring comedian Patton Oswalt as an obsessed, Rupert Pupkin-esque Giants fanatic. I wasn't crazy about the first third of the film, in which Siegel exhibits a palpable contempt for the no-class Staten Island setting, but once the main plot thread kicks in, the dark ironies of the main character's masochistic behaviour became more and more fascinating. Click here to hear more!

0 Comments